Admission to the program is highly competitive, and the selection process takes into account all of the requirements listed below. SODC encourages all applicants to submit any additional documentation which they feel may support their application. Please be advised that applications will not be processed until all required documentation has been submitted. Once processed, all applicants will be notified by mail of the success of their application.
If you have any questions about the process or seek further clarification or assistance, please contact us.Download our application here.
Select a requirement below to learn more:
* * All applicants must complete the SODC Dental Hygiene Program Application Form which can be downloaded on the website (www.sodentalcollege.com). This completed form should be submitted with all the required documentation listed in the Admission section.
* All applications must also be accompanied by the $250 application fee, payable by cash, cheque, or money order/bank draft made out to the SOUTHERN ONTARIO DENTAL COLLEGE. The application fee includes the cost of processing applications as well as the entrance exam and interview.
* Official transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary educational institutions must accompany the application. The transcripts must be placed in the institution’s official envelope, sealed and signed by the Registrar across the seal. All transcripts not provided in English are required to be translated into English by a recognized translator and notarized.
A personal statement of 500-600 words in length must be submitted by the applicant and should describe the following:
1. Your academic, extra-curricular, and/or professional preparation for a career in dental hygiene
2. Your reasons for wanting to enroll in the dental hygiene program
3. Your career plans upon completion of the program at SODC
* Applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation: one academic recommendation from a science instructor/teacher, a counsellor, or an advisor; and one from a health care professional, preferably a dentist or dental hygienist. The letter of recommendation should reflect on the applicant’s personal and professional attributes, and on the applicant’s suitability to pursue studies and a career in dental hygiene.
* All letters of recommendation must be placed in a sealed envelope with the author's signature across the seal to ensure confidentiality.
* Applicants are required to write an entrance exam that is designed to assess the applicants’ academic knowledge and problem solving skills. This exam covers four skill areas: English, Mathematics, Science and Reasoning. Please note that applicants must bring at least one piece of government issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, health card, passport) on the test day.
Selected applicants whose credentials meet the requirements outlined above will be invited to the College for interview.
* In addition, applicants who have completed post-secondary education in a country other than Canada must also submit a certified copy of the individual course descriptions for each postsecondary courses taken. All course descriptions not provided in English are required to be translated to English by a recognized translator and notarized.
* The language of instruction at the Southern Ontario Dental College is English. All applicants must be proficient in both written and spoken English. Applicants whose first language is not English must either have completed at least two years of full-time academic study in a country where English is the first language, or provide evidence to the Admissions Office of having achieved an appropriate standard in a recognized test of English proficiency before the application deadline.
* The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is one such test recognized by SODC. Applicants must achieve at least a total score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, and an essay rating score of at least 4.5. More information regarding the TOEFL test may be obtained from the ETS website: www.ets.org/toefl/
* Please note that if acceptable proof of English proficiency is not received, the application will not be processed. In addition, tests taken more than two years prior to the date of application will not be considered. Official test scores must be sent by the testing agency directly to the Admissions Office. If this is not possible, SODC will accept a notarized copy of a valid score report submitted with the application.
201 Wilson St. East, Level 1 Ancaster, OntarioCanada, L9G 2B8 (T) 1-866-979-6334(F) 905-304-7360